Friday, July 29, 2005

I Likes My Women Like I Likes My Coffee... Bitter

When I was a little kid growing up in Virginia, there was a chain of family-style restaurants called Sambo's. The first Sambo's hit the Peninsula when I was about 5 or 6. As a name, Sambo's lasted about two or three years. Whether it was bought out or sued into submission, Sambo's eventually changed its name to Denny's. Of the two names, I initially thought that Denny's was by far more lame, but I was a kid, reluctant to change by nature, blah blah blah. That was the 70's. I've since learned that the amusing children's book my grandmother read to me as an infant contained some objectionable themes, and that places of business should probably be sensitive to the public at large, especially in the South.

Is it just me? Am I living in some kind of Southern Apologist's haze here? Do I just feel the White Man's Burden more acutely than my peers?

I went to a Dairy Queen in McKinney, Texas, this evening with my bride, my child, my parents and my in-laws. I saw a prominantly displayed sign that made me wonder if the NAACP had yet to be notified.

Dairy Queen has introduced a new line of frosty coffee treat called the MooLatte. No shit, I am not making this up. Go here:

http://www.dairyqueen.com/en-US/Now+Featuring/DQHome.htm

Hey, DQ! There's no fucking way you can play that off as some other word. Good luck in litigation.

No comments: