Saturday, July 16, 2005

Wonder Woman's Golden Lasso Makes Me Tingle

When I was 5 years old, staring at Ms. Carter on the small screen of my parents' television set, I didn't actually understand the reason why I enjoyed the running scenes as much as I did. Suffice it to say I really enjoyed the running scenes. The jumping scenes were pretty good, but for my money, there was nothing better than Lynda Carter tearing around a corner and coming to a quick stop.

Of course in almost every episode that I can recall, Wonder Woman was knocked out cold by a thug with a rag soaked in chloroform. Then she was chained to something, usually explosive, and so there was always the obligatory shot of Ms. Carter with her arms bound above her head, eyes closed, red lips slightly parted....

My friends, Wonder Woman was specifically created to appeal to a five-year-old boy's latent bondage fetish. A Harvard-trained psychologist named Dr. William Moulton Marsten adopted the pseudonym "Charles Moulton" and wrote the intial comic series with bondage fantasies in mind. I refer you to the following website: http://www.uky.edu/Projects/Chemcomics/html/ww_21_cov.html

Amusingly enough, the fellow from the University of Kentucky who runs this site also has an interactive "Periodic Table of Comic Books." http://www.uky.edu/Projects/Chemcomics/index.html#table Select any square, and he will tell you which Golden Age issues mention that element as a plot device. Brilliant.

No comments: