Sunday, August 29, 2004

Ant Rebellion 8.0

Spent a wonderfully geeky Saturday evening with the pocket-protector set. My friend, Mickey, and his lovely wife Karen were in town for, among other things, an amusing event called Ant Rebellion 8.0. In a nutshell, it was an r/c robot war, and it was pretty freaking cool.

Allow me one digression before I continue: I will not pick up another hobby. I will not pick up another hobby. I will not pick up another hobby. (Repeat as necessary.)

For the record, my friend Mickey won the competition. Or rather, Twitch, his 14 ounce ankle shredding creation, won the competition. Twitch has a spiked roller on its front that spins at a healthy 10,000 rpms. The frame is about 4 inches wide by 5 inches long and 1 inch high, and it was literally throwing the other 'bots around the ring. The body was constructed of Lexan and Titanium, and the roller was part of a dead axle from another r/c car and studded with filed steel screws. There were some other nifty little 'bots like Clampy Thing of Doom. Again at less than a pound, it had a scoop with a lexan pincer that could pick up other 'bots, and in some cases hurl them. Clampy Thing of Doom and Twitch came down to it in the final duel. Both first and second place have an automatic berth in the national championship in San Francisco later this year.

www.swarc.org (the local affiliate)
www.botleague.com (the governing body)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my anchorage alaska job sites site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.