Friday, October 07, 2005

Dept. of Trust No One

Has it occurred to anyone else but me that this whole anti-Miers on the part of the Right smacks of reverse psychology?

When I was a little kid, my mom had a lot of trouble getting me to go to bed. She has always been a little woman, so picking me up when I was four or five years old and full of resistance was not an easy proposition. So my mom, clever and resourceful little woman that she is, would challenge me to a race to see who could get to my bed first. Naturally, I would win the race, and mom would bid me a fond good-night, mission accomplished.

So now we're faced with this Miers Situation with no Mr. Wolfe in sight to help us get rid of the dead nigger in the garage. Wait, sorry, I'm mixing allusions.

So now we're faced with this Miers Situation, and the Right is wailing and gnashing their teeth over what a disappointment, Cheerios having been thouroughly pissed upon, their Dream crushed, blah blah blah. Bush, meanwhile, keeps repeating that he knows her, she's a good woman, I've got her in my pocket (well, he hasn't really said that, but he probably will eventually). So the question becomes: do we really want to race the Right to get her into the Supreme Court?

And if we stiff-arm this nominee, who in all honesty is probably just as qualified as I am to be in the highest court in the nation, what will we be offered next?

No comments: